The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant – Exams
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Pay Band: Pay Band 4
- To ensure and provide assurance to the Country Exams Manager and Senior Accountant that transactions have been completely, accurately and appropriately recognised on SAP.
- To ensure claims due to or due from British Council are processed timely and accurately.
- Ensure operational efficiency in cost and revenue recognition.
- To assist product managers and owners to meet finance deadlines and transaction processing efficiency.
Main Opportunities/Challenges for this Role:
- The Finance function is structured along functional lines with the aim of embedding the ‘three lines of defence’ model at its heart, clearly separating the financial control (first line) and risk and assurance (second line) functions, ensuring the integrity of our results and the strength of our controls.
- The exams business is critical in delivering the corporate cum country’s business plan. An assurance that the first line of defence is optimal is critical both from the country and functional perspectives.
- The post holder will have to balance expectations and demand from two functions ensuring that both are happy and excited about the delivery. Efficiency, personal confidence and resourcefulness are important traits that will ensure the post holder is in good stead to deliver on this role.
- To ensure Customer Service Officers (CSO) capture revenue with the correct WBS on SAP.
- Review daily Virtual Accounts (VA) reports received from CSOs and treat same on SAP.
- Ensure corrective journals are initiated to correct wrong posting of revenues by CSOs.
- Ensure that due obligations from exam boards to British Council are processed completely, timely and accurately.
- Closely monitor Aged Debt Report and ensure corporate policies and guidelines are adhered to.
- Bachelor’s degree in any numerate course of study.
- At least would have passed Skills level in an on-going certification with a recognised accounting board.
- Fully qualified with a recognised accounting board e.g ACCA, ACA
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in an active and challenging accounting environment with proven and demonstrable technical accounting skills.
- Practical exposure to SAP or similar accounting solution
British Council Core Skills
- Managing Finance And Resources (Level 2):Uses financial systems and processes.Use corporate financial system and processes appropriately as part of the job and on behalf of the team
- Using technology (Level 2): Operates as an advanced user.Works as an advanced practitioner in the use of office software and/or British Council standard and social media platforms and trains or coaches others in their use.
- Analysing data & problems (Level 2) Uses data:Reviews available data and identifies cause and effect, and then chooses the best solution from a range of known alternatives.
British Council Behaviours
- Working together (more demanding): Ensuring that others benefit as well as me.
- Connecting with others (more demanding): Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others
- Being Accountable (more demanding): Putting the needs of the team or British Council ahead of my own.
- Making it Happen (more demanding): Challenging myself and others to deliver and measure better results.
- Creating Shared Purpose (More demanding). Creating energy and clarity so that people want to work purposefully together
Application Closing Dat
2nd October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online