African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Industrial Policy Officer
Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093763
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department
- In line with the Bank Ten-Year Strategy, and consistent with the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy for Africa, the Division drives the Bank’s interventions in Africa through the implementation of priority programs to scale-up and accelerate industrial transformation in Africa.
- The job of Industrial Policy Expert which reports to the Manager Industrial Development is key to the Bank’s efforts to foster successful industrial policies in RMCs through shared programs and close collaboration with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA).
- The key objective of the job is to provide policy advisory services and technical assistance to governments, institutions and regulatory bodies in the areas of industrial policies design & diagnostic support, implementation support, monitoring & impact evaluation, and industrial tools & statistics for Africa.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Manager, Industrial Development, the Industrial Policy Expert will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Specific accountabilities & tasks of the function:
- Support the design, implementation and monitoring of industrial strategies and policies for selected countries in Africa in coordination with the UNIDO and UNECA;
- Support the UNECA, UNIDO, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECS) in their work to lead research, technical assistance, facilitation and coordinate policy dialogue;
- Lead industrial policies implementation support through execution of Country Strategy Papers (CSP)/Regional Integration Strategy Papers (RISP) and develop industrial skills enhancement zones;
- Lead industrial policies monitoring, through country or regional strategies;
- Lead, jointly with ECON, regional offices and the UNECA, efforts on providing technical assistance in developing standards, collecting data and providing comprehensive statistics across Africa;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s or equivalent degree in Industrial Policy, Economics, Public Policy, International Trade, Business or related fields or related discipline
- Deep understanding of Africa’s industrial structure coupled with practical experience in high-level policy dialogue. Solid network of contacts within the AUC, RECs and key partner agencies such UNIDO and UNECA is a major advantage
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience as an Industrial Policies design and dialogue
- Experience in developing countries is desirable
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Analytical Skills
- Negotiations and consensus building skills
- Problem Solving
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online