The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant (Maternity Cover)
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Role Type: Advisory, Policy and Expertise
Pay Band: PB4-H
Duration: Fixed Term (Six Months)
- This role is for a fixed term and as a maternity cover.
- The post holder will be a member of a team of accountants responsible for the end to end accounting process in Nigeria including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with standard accounting practices and corporate policies.
- This is a supporting role in the Financial Controlling function which is a key function in the new organisational structure emerging from the British Council’s Financial Transparency Project.
The post-holder will (across operations in Nigeria):
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial month-end pre-closing steps and provide support as required for the financial month-end closing steps.
- Maintain financial records as per corporate policy and internal audit
- Provide support as required on accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting.
- Provide support as required with manual journals and off-system payments requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any numerate course of study.
- Fully qualified with a recognised accounting board e.g ACCA, ACA etc
- Fluency in written and spoken English – Shortlisted candidates will either demonstrate they have met the required standard through presentation of an agreed English language certificate, or will be required to take the APTIS test and demonstrate a B1 level of English proficiency.
- Assessment Stage – Shortlisting and interview
Method of Application