African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Enterprise Development Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093725
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department
- In line with the Bank Ten-Year Strategy, and consistent with the Bank’s Industrialization Strategy for Africa, the Division drives the Bank’s interventions in Africa through the implementation of priority programs to scale-up and accelerate industrial transformation in Africa.
- Through strategic partnerships with other co-financiers, the Private Sector, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO),the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), the African Union Commission (AUC) and Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the Division actively seeks to support governments in adjusting their national industrial policies, identifying potential sectors for industrial development and investment, and providing support for value chain development, advisory and technical assistance as well as operational support through sectoral expertise to operational teams in Regional Hubs.
- The job of Principal Enterprise Development Officer which reports to the Manager Industrial Development is key to the Bank’s contribution to developing an effective support structure for enterprise entry and expansion, with particular focus on Small and Medium size Enterprises (SMEs).
- The key objective of the job is to increase lines of credits to SMEs, provide technical assistance to SME-focused entities, and facilitate and implement linkage projects in the Bank’s relevant private sector investments, to connect SMEs to larger and more established businesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Manager, Industrial Development, the Principal Enterprise Development Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Scale-up investments and financing to lend to SMEs by:
- Increasing portion of Lines of Credit (LoCs) that benefit to SMEs in early stage – “Starting and Growing a Business” (SGB) phase;
- Scaling-up the size of the existing SME program through increased LoCs to local financial institutions to reach USD 40 million (vs. 10 million in 2015);
- Investigating the feasibility of deploying Venture Capital equity investment benefiting SMEs;
- Streamlining the approval process to take ~6 months; and
- Reviewing and setting-up KPIs aligned with objectives (e.g. SMEs beneficiaries in SGB phase).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Finance, Business Administration and/or related fields.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant work experience working in the field of SME-development.
- Experience in the field of SME finance and related issues with demonstrated ability to engage on a range of issues in developing countries including advice on both SME development and funding.
- Track record of achievements ideally in collaboration with Regional Member Countries (RMCs), Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and other development partners in the field of SMEs development.
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online