African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Statistician – Database Management Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093735
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The Complex is responsible for providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Statistics Department (ECST) is responsible for the Bank’s statistical activities that focus on two main components: providing support for effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and Sustainable Development Goals agenda across Africa, mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services.
The Principal Statistician – Database Management Officer will be responsible for contributing to the reliability of the bank’s statistical data through the following main activities:
- Provide leadership and advice on data management and dissemination under the Africa Information Highway (AIH) initiative that informs the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the High 5s;
- Contribution to Development results measurement for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda and the High 5s framework by providing support for effective generation of indicators for SDGs and High 5s;
- Improving technical capacities and data quality of the National Statistical Systems by managing the Bank’s data management and dissemination activities in all Regional Member Countries;
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Economic & Social Statistics (ECST1), the Principal Statistician – Database Management Officer will:
- Promote the use of the African Information Highway (AIH) in the Bank, regional member countries and regional economic communities (RECs).
- Manage and maintain statistical databases for pillar 2 (development data) of the 1 Bank Data System (1BDS).
- Advise on efficient ways to prepare and disseminate statistical products and provide input into making data, analyses and reports accessible and available through various media, Develop Initiatives for improving statistical production in areas of expertise.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Statistics, Information Technology (IT) or related field with a strong background in quantitative methods.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant working experience in a statistical or development institution.
- Proven good command of SDMX (Statistical Data and Metadata exchange) artefacts.
Application Closing Date
26th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online