The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reproductive Health Community Mobilization Officer
Locations: Konduga and Maiduguri, Borno
Scope of Work
- The RH Community Mobilization Officer will be responsible for developing education, mobilization and sensitization activities related to Reproductive Health (RH) in all of Borno state (MMC/Jere, , Monguno and Gwoza).
- Develop strategies to improve community acceptance of RH services and improve access to IRC RH services.
- Build the capacity of community mobilisers, community volunteers and traditional birth attendant on RH topics and means of communication
- Reports to: RH Manager
Under the direct supervision of the Reproductive Health Manager, the responsibilities of the RH Community Mobilization Officer includes but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts regular investigations in the communities: discussions, meetings, interviews, focus group discussions – to assess the needs and gaps in knowledge of the targeted communities.
- Designs and adapts community mobilization work-plans to adapt the shifting needs and gaps in knowledge of communities.
- Develop specific strategies to reach “hard to reach” communities.
- Organize culturally sensitive educational and promotional activities to raise awareness on RH and GBV topics/services, including:
- Family Planning
- Maternal and Neonatal health, Antenatal Care and Postnatal Care ,
- Awareness of STIs and infection prevention
- Post Abortion Care
- Referral and guidance for survivors of sexual assault.
- Psychosocial support
- Supports and enables community mobilisers’ activities
- Liaise with IRC RH facilities and service providers to ensure strong linkages between services and communities.
- Supports in the administrative management of the team of Community Health Volunteers (CHVs) and Traditional Birth Attendants (TBAs) (letters of agreement; payment of monthly stipends etc.)
- Organize meetings with community representatives and target groups as needed.
- Active participation in RH meetings both in and out of facilities.
- Health Educator with Diploma in Nursing or Community Health.
Skills and Experience:
- University or Higher Diploma/Degree in Social Sciences, Education, Nursing or Community Health.
- A minimum of four years of experience working with local communities as a community mobiliser or similar position
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a health education/promotion and community project, with displaced population is a plus.
- Familiarity with the local context: language, culture, etc.
- Sensitivity and diplomacy to provide education on a variety of sensitive RH topics
- Excellent communication skills – especially on sensitive topics pertaining to RH
- Spoken and written English
- Basic computer Literacy: Word and Excel
- Must be willing to work in an environment with limited resources with poor living conditions and difficult situations
- Able to work remains productive under difficult and high pressure situations with the ability to prioritize effectively, and respects and adheres to deadlines
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
21st November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply online