The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Women Protection & Empowerment VSLA Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
- Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) violates a woman’s human rights, threatens her physical and mental health and limits her educational and economic opportunities with repercussions for her family and community.
- The link between women’s financial independence and gender-based violence has inspired programs aiming to empower women economically as a potential violence prevention strategy.
- The Economic and social Empowerment Officer will be based in Mubi with frequent visits within and outside Adamawa state as the Job demands.
- He/she is responsible for conducting assessment to identify communities and implement the economic and social empowerment (VSLA) and gender discussion group sessions.
The responsibilities of the economic empowerment officer include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with WPE Community mobilizers and ERD to conduct an assessment to identify communities for the establishment of EASE groups
- Work alongside women and ERD to establish and train groups in VSLA, Gender discussions and business skills.
- Conduct a TOT of staff and partners in VSLA, Gender discussions and business skills.
- In collaboration with ERD and women groups design a group bye-laws and support groups to elect their executives.
- Organize and facilitate a gender dialogue sessions with VSLA participants and their male partners.
- Ensure to check records during VSLA meetings for accuracy and provide support where necessary and share data with M&E officer and senior program Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Work and Social Administration or related field.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong experience working with community groups
- Great communication skills and ability to clearly and effectively convey complex concepts to populations with limited numeracy and literacy skills
- Excellent training and mentoring skills
- Familiarity with savings and credit schemes (VSLA methodology preferred)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and to foster team spirit
- Belief in and understanding of gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment
- Willingness to travel to field sites frequently and, preferably, experience working in GBV programs and in rural settings.
- Should be a Team Player.
- The position will work in the Mubi Field Office. The program site in Northern Adamawa state is security level 3 – orange
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
24th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply online